Friday, August 7, 2009

bliss moments

Joseph Campbell, Joseph Campbell, Joseph Campbell...
Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls.
The way to find out about happiness is to keep your mind on those moments when you feel most happy, when you are really happy — not excited, not just thrilled, but deeply happy. This requires a little bit of self-analysis. What is it that makes you happy? Stay with it, no matter what people tell you. This is what is called following your bliss.
When you follow your bliss... doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors; and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning.
Your life is the fruit of your own doing. You have no one to blame but yourself.
I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive.
The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.
_______________________________________________
Gigging for my friend's Theatre Company:
So, I expect to form a band this week. Muah ha.
I've started on the pre-show music and have a couple of versions of a set done. I'm getting very excited about this and am realizing I need to high-tail it to get prepared. Post cards, emails, rehearsal. Good news is that I put an ad out on craigslist for a bassist and percussionist and got some very good responses. I'll be auditioning and jamming with them this week. Bang, band formed. They all sound like they're cool with the schedule and my budget, and I believe I'll be able to wrangle them to some open mics.
Oh yeah, more good news: One of the company members let me borrow his most awesome Gibson electric and Fender amp - it was sitting in his garage. Schweet, schweet.
Open Mic:
Okay, okay, I haven't done an open mic yet. I know, I know. The thing is, I believe that there is something to look into first. It's such a vulnerable thing to do. Plus I think I got a bit wigged out with the songwriters group. Perhaps it was just that I wasn't used to the community.
Welp, I did do a couple of things about it: I checked out 2 venues. Both coffee shops. I hung out in both. One of them, I really took to. Great place, spacious, yummy treats, near my yoga studio, and super comfy chill space. And, I did make an attempt to do the open mic there. I practiced for it and then lugged the guitar into the trunk. I showed up an hour before the open mic started, but I guess I had already decided when I got out of my yoga classes prior to showing up that I wasn't going to do it. But I was compelled. So I set up shop at a table and stayed there until the whole dang thing started and ended. I was there for about 4 hours!
I learned a whole lot and the experience inspired me to finish some necessary tweaks to 2 of my songs.
I also found an amazing guitarist/singer-songwriter. I might want to collaborate with this one. His style is marvelous and he plays beautifully, beautifully. He didn't write a lot of lyrics to his songs and he only sang one line for one of the pieces, but dang, were they present. He sang moments. I really dug that.
Also discovered a star. I could see it when he walked into the place. I thought he was cute and thought, "I bet this guy is really good." Turns out he's recorded and gigged a bit. Wonderful tenor voice, good hipster look. Funny, he was the most impressive performer of the lot but I don't think anyone liked him. I journalled about the performances and had the most to say about him. The most marketable and talented may not necessarily be the best for open mic. And yet, folks have gotten record deals and consistent gigs out of these, so it's important to do your best work. But being sensitive to the audience, so that they can really hear you and so that you can do your best work at the same time, is probably where the work is for open mics.
Here are some of my main lessons:
There is a sound for coffee shop open mics that are ideal. The songs don't have to be covers, although they can sometimes be helpful when introducing yourself. It's a toss up, though, because covers are often not done so well. Lyrical content doesn't matter as much as a compelling sound and an ability to tell a story. Some folks tell a story before they sing, which helps the audience to understand the performer better, but there is nothing like a good storyteller in song.
The chord choices/progressions that work are surprisingly jazzy, and they should be solidly played, the rhythm consistent and the groove/vibe should either ease or focus the environment. Having a purpose as a person with an audience is also helpful. That one dude got up there and basically told the audience how good he was and no one cared. The audience wants to know who people are, they want to know a person's story and journey. Some of the best performances came from folks who just had a nice spirit, who were good storytellers and who were humble and dedicated to their performance. A couple of these folks weren't outstanding musically, but their performances still made a difference. They brought love to the place. One sister even sang a couple of Gospel songs. I was surprised that her pieces were so warmly received. She was all about Jesus and it was just fine with everyone. I like that.
I will check out all the open mic nights that I'm interested in from now on. I'm really glad I did it and feel a lot more prepared.
I intend to do the open mic next Thursday. I might even invite some friends.
I'll talk about bliss later.
I'm learning how to be present to where I am right now. Learning how to let go of how I've been burnt in the past and the pressure I have to live up to my "ideal" future. I'm yearning for a support system and while I have no idea how long I'll be here, I really need one. Gonna get some things in place and do these open mics.
My big opening is that I realized that I don't need to be anything, anything, anything, but a pilgrim. Just on a quest. Just looking to deepen my experience of life and God and hoping to find others in the journey. I am here for as long as I'm meant to be here. No reason why I can't improve the quality of my life right now.
Went back to yoga, finally. And I am remembering yoga as a lifestyle. I am actively practicing openness. It feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment